"Twisted Realism" A visual artist, creating moody black and white tonal drawings in charcoal, pastel and graphite. Inspired by the human figure, story telling and Europe.


2.10.11

One Of The Reasons For My Trip...

...was to conduct a week long Artist In Residence program at the International School of Lausanne, in Switzerland. I was working with the Year 11, 12, and 13 students. 


        I have worked with Judy and Roger, the Art teachers in their beautifully appointed school, and wonderfully spacious Art rooms.


I used the school's Reception area to set up a display of my work, and during free periods created one of my drawings as a demonstration of my techniques.







The school staffroom had two Nescafe machines 
pouring out free all you can drink coffee 24/7.
Imagine the outside views in winter when everything is covered in snow.


From my journal;

"I've got to say I've had a great week at the school. The facilities are excellent, staff very friendly and the students I've worked with are wonderful, mature, friendly, worldly and take their art very seriously. I've loved every minute of it. I've been working in the foyer on a work of art and I've displayed my work as well. The feedback has exceeded my expectations. Lots of kids from the primary school continue to engage me during their breaks and enquire about what I'm doing. A number of teachers have brought their students out to talk to me about my practice."

"It's my last day and I've thoroughly enjoyed working with the Year 11, 12 and 13 students. They have a maturity and openness that I've loved. They say hello, they engage you in conversation, they are open and polite. They thank you at the end of each lesson. They say goodbye."

"It's my last day. I head up to the hall to say goodbye to Lyn Cheetham, the School Director, who is conducting the orchestra. She gives me a 'Swiss kiss' (3 times) and all the audience of mainly senior school students, give me a round of applause and a loud "Au revoir Peter". I'm very chuffed. I've loved this place and the students."



No comments:

Post a Comment